posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:41 AM by David Khorram
updated Jul 26, 2016, 2:41 PM
How to Prepare for Hair Surgery
Hair surgeries and transplants have become very popular in the recent years because people can now get easy access to information about these procedures. Because this is a medical procedure, the doctor will give you a set of before & after-care instructions but we at Meshkin Medical have put together this article to help you prepare. This will give you some idea of what to expect with the procedure.
Two Weeks Before the Procedure
- Stop Smoking – Smoking impacts your ability to heal, and will slow down recovery. It can also restrict blood flow to the skin and scalp.
- Scalp Massage – The best hair transplant doctor in Los Angeles always recommends daily scalp massage with mild oils such as coconut or almond oil.
- Don’t Take Blood Thinners – If you take any blood thinning medication, it’s a good idea to stop it two weeks before the surgery. They would have an impact on your recovery.
- Hair Loss Medication – Some doctors may prescribe hair loss medication for this period.
One Week Before the Procedure
- Alcohol –Hair transplant in Los Angeles experts always recommend that you stop consuming alcohol a week before the procedure.
- Limit Sun Exposure – You should wear hats and scarves to protect your scalp as much as possible. The last thing you want is a sunburnt scalp.
- Stop Medication – At this point, you need to stop any vitamin supplements and antibiotics you take, because they might interfere with the results and recovery.
On the Day of the Surgery
- Don’t Drink Caffeine – Don’t drink coffee or strong tea on the day of the surgery, and have a light, but nutritious breakfast.
You should also make sure that you have someone to transport you home safely after the surgery. You’ll still be a little dazed and disoriented and will have bandages around your head.
- Wash Your Hair – On the morning of your surgery, wash your hair with a mild shampoo and warm water. Don’t use any products that would linger in your hair like styling gels, hair spray, conditioners, and serums.
If you have questions about hair transplant in Los Angeles, feel free to contact us at Meshkin Medical. For appointments, call 800 246 8424 or 949 219 0027. We have offices in Beverly Hills, Encino, Orange County, and Glendale and the contact information is available on this page.